Empennage (page 14)
February 19th, 2008 1.0hrs - 170.5 hrs total.  Pulled pins from spar
web rib slots.  Dry fit elevator ribs, tab hinge plates and tabs. Planned
best way to jig for rib placement.  Reviewed plans for placement of
second #3 ribs.

April 19th, 2008 3.0 hrs - 173.5 hrs total.  Had a long break due to
some minor flooding in the shop.  Had to move a lot of stuff around.  
Cleaned up tools and jig.  Re-leveled, plumbed and squared jig.  
Cleaned and sanded jig working surface.  Marked new center line.  
Looked at existing elevator spar from every angle and can't find a way
to convince myself its usable.  There's still about 1/2" of dihedral in
the spar - so I'm going to scrap it and make a new one.

April 26th, 2008 2.5 hrs - 176 hrs total.  Traced elevator spar
patterns onto new sheet of 1/8 birch ply.  Rough cut out with jig
saw, trimmed with band saw and finished down to line with disc
sander.  Left a little extra material on the spar web to be final sanded
after the flanges are in place.  Marked all rib slots.  Started cutting out
rib slots with scroll saw.
May 3rd, 2008 3.5 hrs - 179.5 hrs total.  Finished cutting out all rib slots in elevator spar web.  
Marked center line and scarf joint area.  Scarfed overlap area by hand on disc sander.  Glued scarf
joint and clamped in place to dry.

May 4th, 2008 1.5 hrs - 181.0 hrs.  Removed clamps. Drilled holes for nails that act as gluing
guides for flanges. Hammered in nails, tweaked them a little to insure they are straight.  Now need
to rip some new flange strips.  Measured stock on hand - have what I need, just need to rip it.

May 9th, 2008 3.0hrs - 184.0 hrs total.  Riped new flanges from stock. Glued lower flange onto
spar web except at tips where they curve quite a bit.  Will do them later.

May 10th, 2008 1.5 hrs - 185.5 hrs total. Removed clamps and cleaned up from previous glue
job.  Glued bottom flange ends in position with curves.

May 14th, 2008, 2.0 hrs - 187.5 hrs total.  Dry fit second flange.  Cut ends to shape, ground
epoxy out of previous flange glue joint were new flange needs to be flush on old.  Set up blocking
to hold new flange in shape.  Made up some internal blocks to help form flange to correct bend.  
Ready to glue.

May 15th, 2008, 1.5 hrs - 189.0 hrs total.  Vacuumed up shavings and dust, cleaned surfaces to
be glued.  Set up clamps, glued in flange.  Glued the whole side including the bends.  Clamped in
place to set.  Once this is dry I'll be back to where I was before I decided to trash the original
elevator spar.  From this point I'll be making forward progress again!  I'll start putting in pictures again
once I start doing something new.

May 16th, 2008 3.0 hrs - 192.0 hrs total.  Removed completed spar from jig.  Cleaned up nail
holes in jig, Sanded jig surface, put down new wax paper, re-leveled and plumbed jig.  Cleaned and
sanded all excess epoxy from spar, cleaned out rib notches.  Clamped spar in place.

May 17th, 2008 2.0 hrs - 194.0 total.  Installed extra members in jig to allow for aligning ribs.  
Remeasured and marked centerlines on all ribs.

May 18th, 2008 4.0 hrs - 198.0 total.  Marked and cut out slots in elevator ribs for trim tab spar
and hinge plates.  Dry fit trim tab parts and secondary #3 ribs.  Sanded and formed all pieces to fit.  
Installed popsicle sticks as guides for positioning all ribs.

May 19th, 2008 1.5 hrs - 199.5 total.  Re-leveld and squared jig (again).  Marked center line
alignment points on popsicle sticks.  Started making reinforcing tabs for rib to spar joints out of
1/16th ply.  These aren't called for in the plans, but I ended up using them on the stabilizer because
the ribs didn't make contact with both flanges.  The elevator ribs are the same way and they need
to be very strong as there is so much force transferred from the spar to the surface area of the
elevator through these joints I don't want to take any chances.  The 1/16th ply is very light, but still
very strong in this application, I figure its worth the small extra weight in the tail to do it.

May 21st, 2008 2.0 hrs - 201.5 total.  Finished making reinforcing tabs.  Glued in all elevator ribs
except primary and secondary #3 ribs that tie into trim tab spar.  Also glued in reinforcing tabs.

May 22nd, 2008 2.0 hrs - 203.5 total.  Glued in all four #3 ribs with reinforcing tabs (glued two of
the tabs to the wrong side of the ribs, but it doesn't really matter).  Glued in elevator trim tab plates
and trim tab hinge plates on port and starboard sides.  The trim tab ribs aren't installed till later.

May 23rd, 2008 1.5 hrs - 205 total.  Went and purchased another batch of clamps and some
wood to make clamping forms.  Started making clamping forms.

May 24th, 2008 4.5 hrs - 209.5 total.  Finished making clamping forms and got them all clamped in
place.  Removed elevator from jig.  Cleaned up and sanded under side of glue joints. Set up a table in
the garage and moved the stabilizer and elevator into the garage and clamped them to the table.  
Made up three clamping spacers to go between the elevator spar and stabilizer spar.  Instructions
called for 4" X 4" X 1 & 15/16" blocks.  Couldn't find any stock so went and bought a 4X6 beam and
chopped the end off to use for stock to make the blocks.  Now that they are clamped in place its
clear that the only dimension that matters is the 1 & 15/16.  The others are arbitrary.